Kenya's No 1 GhettoRadio

13 year old  shot dead as police Enforce Curfew


A 13 year old boy was killed by a stray bullet alleged to be from a police officer at Kiamaiko in Nairobi County on Monday night.

Reports suggest that the boy was hit while on the balcony as he was trying to catch a glimpse of the officers who were enforcing the nationwide curfew at around 8 pm.

Speaking to Ghetto Radio, the boy’s father Hussein Moyo says the incident happened at around 7:00 pm and the boy was rushed to Mama Lucy Hospital.

“My daughter called me while I was at the neighbors and told me that my son Yassin had been shot while he was standing at the balcony. By the time I got there, the police were nowhere to be seen and the neighbors had put my son in the car to rush him to the hospital. I followed the car to Huruma police station only to be told to stay in the car and wait for the OCS. They then rushed him to Mama Lucy Kibaki hospital where the doctors told me he needed to be rushed to the theatre.” He said

Hussein says his son was still able to talk when they got to Mama Lucy but died shortly after while undergoing surgery to retrieve the bullet.

“The doctors told me he had internal bleeding before rushing him to the theatre. As we waited for him to come out of surgery, the doctor called me aside and told me he had succumbed to his injuries. He also said they are yet to retrieve the bullet because it was lodged in a bone.” He added

Hussein says the family is yet to receive any communication from the police even as they prepare to bury his son.

At the time of going to press, the family was still at Mama Lucy hospital waiting for the post mortem to be done.

The Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji has directed the National Police Service to probe the death of a 13-year old boy.

The Inspector General of police Hillary Mutyambai has since asked the Director of Criminal Investigation to inquire how the boy was hit by a stray bullet.

Mutyambai has also directed DCI to undertake forensic analysis of all firearms held by officers who were on duty last night within Huruma area.