Finland’s and British Champion Tapio Laukannen has won the 3rd round of the Kenya national rally championship.
He claimed his third straight victory in the Western Kenya Motor Club round after leading from CS3 Chebiemit through to the last stage at Chemweno Farm.
Tapio achieved his maiden victory on Eldoret in the 2015 edition at the world famous Flourspar-Nyaru region and repeated the feat twice in Moiben area in 2016 and 2017.
This was Tapio’s second win of the season after retiring from the season opening Mombasa Cement Rally and clinching his maiden ARC Safari Rally in Naivasha and Nakuru.
Following the weekend showdown, Tapio snatched the lead from Ian Duncan who dropped to third.
Tapio now leads the KNRC log with 63 points ahead of Carl Tundo (60) and Duncan (57).
As Tapio kept increasing the lead, Chatthe, Baldev Chager and Tundo were having a big scrap for the podium slots.
But it was Chatthe and Chager who emerged successful at second and third respectively as Tundo managed a fourth place finish with Manvir Baryan clinging on to fifth.
Eldoret Rally Provisional results:
- Tapio Laukkanen/Gavin Laurence -Subaru Impreza, 88.22mins
- Jaspreet Chatthe/Gugu Panesar – Mitsubishi Lancer10, 85.40
- Baldev Chager/Ravi Soni – Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 88.55
- Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 86.15
- Manvir Baryan/Drew Sturrock – Skoda Fabia, 86.43
- Onkar Rai/Gareth Dawe – Skoda Fabia, 86.19
- Karan Patel/James Mwangi – Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 88.01
- Ammanan Rai/Tauseef Khan – Ford Fiesta, 90.41
- Ian Duncan /Amaar Slatch Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 90.46
- Farhaz Khan/Keith Henrie -Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 91.16
- Jasmeet Chana/Ravi Chana – Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 94.03
- Piero Cannobio/Silvia Frigo – Mitsubishi Evolution 10, 94.49
- Jonathan Somen/Richard Hechle – Ford Escort MK2, 98.18
- Natasha Tundo/Chantal Young – Subaru Impreza N10, 103.48
- Leonardo Varese/Kigondu Kareithi – Toyota Corolla RSI, 111.30
- Amaar Haq/Victor Okundi – Subaru Impreza, 115.17
- Harpreet Sagoo/Paren Hirani – Subaru Impreza N10; 19. 118.05