Buju Banton ejected from CARAH awards nominee list
Jamaican artist Buju Banton has suffered a major loss after the nomination committee for Caribbean American Heritage Awards (CARAH) updated the 2020 nomination list and ejected his name.
The committee had earlier announced that Buju would be one of the recipients of the 2020 (CARAH) Awards.
According to international reports, the committee updated the list following Buju Banton’s anti-face mask rant back in October 2020.
The Jamaica Gleaner reports that when reached for comment, the management only responded with ‘Our official stance is that talks stalled,’ ‘we are in talks with his (Banton’s) management’ and ‘the organization is still committed to working with Banton’s foundation’.
Buju was to be honored for his “outstanding contribution to reggae music” at the virtual event set to be held on November 20.
In the new updated list however, CARAH press release names three Jamaican honorees – Don Wehby, group chief executive officer, GraceKennedy Limited; Olympian Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce; and veteran reggae singer Judy Mowatt.
On 21st October, Buju went on an anti face mask rant on social media and asked Jamaicans to stop wearing masks.
In a video shared on Instagram, Buju said if someone was meant to die they will die and no mask will protect them.
The 47 year old singer added that Jamaicans are tired of politicians telling them how to live their lives and vowed not wear a mask.
“We wan done wid dis mask wearing bullsh-t inna Jamaica. Who fi dead ago dead and who nah go dead, haffi jus live. We tired of you intellectual fools trying to tell us how to live our lives, you are so smart why you haven’t found the cure for cancer,” he declared in the first of three Instagram videos uploaded today, October 21 which he captioned “Free My People Now” he said
He went on to blame authorities for the layoffs and the negative hit on the economy.
“Jamaican people need fi wake up. Mi nah wear no mask cause mask nuh mek fi man,” he said. “Free my people!” he added