Cecafa Secretary Nicholas Musonye has denied claims that someone solicited money from Governors in order to give their Counties a chance to host some CECAFA matches.
Speaking at a press briefing at the Utalli Grounds on the status of the Tournament which is set to kickoff this Sunday 3rd December Musonye rubbished the accusations.
The CECAFA organizers had been accused of soliciting for cash from Kisumu Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o.
Kisumu had been barred from hosting some matches by officials who cited security concerns, a situation that angered members of the public.
“None of our members or Football Kenya Federation has asked for money from the County Governments where we intend to hold our matches.
As a committee which is made up of Cecafa and the Federations we have handled the financial aspects the right way and both parties have been in the know as regards the issue,” Musonye said.
Kisumu has now been put on standby to hold some matches alongside Kasarani and Mumias in cases of emergencies.
This is to avoid a repeat of a situation that occurred in 2013 when it rained heavily making some stadia inaccessible.
Musonye Condemned Zimbabwe Football Federation (ZAFA) for withrawing from the tournament at the last moment saying Kenya is safer than Zimbabwe.
He accused ZAFA of sabotage. According to ZAFA the political situation in the country has made Kenya not safe.
Musonye has assured that all is set for the tournament assuring all stakeholders of a successful sports show case.
He says all the venues earmarked for the tournament are ready and assured that the financing from broadcast partners, Azam and the Kenya government will be sufficient for them to organize a great tournament.
“We have checked all the venues and everything looks okay; Burundi and Ethiopia have already arrived and we are expecting Tanzania and Zanzibar today.
Uganda Libya and South Sudan will be here on Saturday so we are on top with the preparations.