The National Finals of the Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom Youth Tournament kicked off with quarterfinal games played at the historic Bukhungu Stadium and Kakamega High School Grounds in Kakamega County.
The winners of the quarterfinals pocketed KES 250,000 cash reward each and will now proceed to the semifinals set for Friday and Saturday. The girls will play their semifinals on Friday (tomorrow) while the boys will play on Saturday.
The girls’ quarterfinals saw Tar Tar from Rift score 3:2 against Waa Girls from Coast as Arch Bishop Njenga from Western win 7:1 against Beijing Raiders from Nairobi. Plateau Queens from Nyanza also won 7:1 against Ngakaa Talent Academy from Eastern whereas Limuru Starlets from Central got a bye to the semis, as there was no girls’ team from North Eastern.
Tar Tar will therefore face Arch Bishop Njenga as Plateau Queens face Limuru Starlets in the Semis tomorrow.
“We’ve had a good victory today. The matches were tough but the girls were physically fit and focused. We never underestimated our opponent and that has always been our secret to success. We will up our game for better results tomorrow and look forward to winning semis,” said George Omondi, Coach Plateau Queens.
In the boys’ quarterfinals, Mukumu Boys from Western won 3:1 against Shimba Hills from Coast as Gor Mahia Youth from Nairobi beat Al Hayat from North Eastern 4:0.
Kapenguria Heroes from West pokot also booked a space in the semis after scoring 4:1 against Mwingi Junior from Eastern. Ombek Red Devils scored 5:4 in a post penalty shootout against Euronuts from Central after 3:3 draw in regulation time.
Mukumu Boys will face Gor Mahia Youth FC as Kapenguria Heroes prepare to face Ombek Red Devils in the semis set for Saturday.
“Our win today is as a result hard work and team spirit. The game tomorrow will not be easy at all but we look forward for good results.
Our focus is to win the finals and be the champions,” said Fredrick Krop, striker – Kapenguria Heroes Boys.
Teams that will qualify for finals are set to pocket KES 500,000 each, while the finalists will take home KES 500,000. The overall winners in each category will receive KES 1 Million, as well as a trip to London for a one week training camp.
While in London they will also get a chance to interact with the tournament’s Brand Ambassador Victor Wanyama, who turns out for English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur.
Bishop Njenga 7:1 Beijing Raiders
Bishop Njenga (7)
- Shilachiro Noel -3rd Minute
- Mato Sharon- 24th, 52nd & 68th Minute
- Wanyonyi Violet – 21st , 25th & 28th Minute
Beijing Raiders (1 goal)
- Auma Yvone – 80th Minute (Penalty)
Plateau Queens 7:1 Ngakaa Talent Center
Plateau Queens (7)
- Valentine Awuor -35th & 73rd Minute
- Aoko Loline- 78th & 82nd Minute
- Achieng Beverline- 13th Minute
- Molly Monica – 15th Minute
- Akinyi Mercy – 43rd Minute
Ngakaa Talent Center (1)
- Doris Wafula 29th Minute
Tar Tar Girls 3:2 Waa Girls
Tar Tar (3)
- Elizabeth Nafula – 49th, 64th & 69th Minute
Waa Girls (2)
- Sidy Sarma – 8th Minute
- Marium Tania – 3rd Minute
- Mukumu Boys 3:1 Shimba Hills
- Kasambeli Leonard – 25th Minute
- Brian Chala – 49th Minute
- Alvin Mangeni- 13th Minute
Shimba Hills (1)
- Bakari Kishombo – 57th Minute
Gor Mahai Youth 4:0 Al Hayat FC
Gor Mahai Youth (4)
- Mwendwa Mathew– 15th
- Otieno Selassie – 40th &41st Minute
- Omwenga Dickson – 62nd Minute
- Ombek Red Devils 3:3 Euronuts
Ombek Red Devils
- Ogot Ben – 6th 42nd &47th Minute
- Riek Nhial – 55th Minute
- Njugunah John – 71st Minute
- Mungai George – 76th Minute
Kapenguria Heroes 4:1 Mwingi Junior Academy
Kapenguria Heroes (4)
- Atem Kato– 26th & 43rd Minute
- Krop Fredrick – 53rd Minute
- Poriot Gabriel – 86th Minute
Mwingi Junior Academy (1)
- Nassir Ali- 60th Minute