- County Government in a mission to restore order in the Nairobi CBD.
- Pilot Program to kick off on Oct 27th.
- Any trader who does not adhere to this protocol shall be subject to enforcement action
As Nairobi County Government grapple with hawkers menace in Nairobi ,the City governor Johnson Sakaja has come with a 90 day pilot program on how to enforce order same time have an organized informal business in the Central Business District.
Through statement from office of country secretary Patrick Analo to media houses, the pilot program will take effect today 27th Oct 2023.
Elements of Pilot Program
- Strictly no trading is allowed on any carriageway throughout the city
- Street vending is ONLY allowed beyond Tom Mboya Street downwards. Street vending from upper Tom Mboya upwards, is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- All street vending activities shall commence strictly from 4pm to 10 pm both on weekdays and weekends.
- Pop up markets are allowed with Prior Authorization and upon payment of applicable rates, rent and fees on weekends.
- Street vending Business Operations in the Rehabilitated Backlanes shall be done 24 hours everyday by traders designated to those lanes through applicable procedures. A daily cess fee shall apply.
Meanwhile the have asked to adhere to the following regulations;
- Law and order must be fully adhered to during the proposed business hours;
- All traders shall ensure that their area of operation is clean and litter free before and after business operations;
- The size of each slot is 3 by 3 feet within clear and adequate space left along the street and in between pallets for pedestrian traffic.
- The traders shall operate on standardized pallets as per specifications provided by the line department.
- All Payments shall strictly be cashless
- All trader shall operate within the designated pavements and streets only
Any trader who does not adhere to this protocol shall be subject to enforcement action by the County Government.