More than 100 families have been rendered homeless and property of unknown value consumed by fire in Kawangware.
The fire which reportedly broke out at around 1pm started in one of the houses.
“I was in my house when I heard my neighbour shouting fire and immediately I woke only see fast spreading fire in the house. I callled neighbours to help me salvage items but it was too late everyone was fight for his house,” said George, a resident.
George alleges that fire might have been caused by an electrical fault.
Efforts by fire fighters to curb the fast spreading fires was futile since the most of the houses are made of timber and corrugated ironsheets.
“We called the fire brigades and they responded fairly on time, but the blowing wind spread the fires so fast that there was nothing to salvage,” he added
The residents now pleading with the national government,the county government and other well-wishers to help them get at least basic household items,mattresses, blankets and food as the at the Kinyanjui Primary schools serving as temporary evacuation centre.
By Rodgers Oduor