The latest transfer news and speculation surrounding the Emirates on Tuesday 30 August
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will allow club favourite Jack Wilshere to leave before Wednesday’s transfer deadline in order to secure a move to another Premier League club and play regular first-team football after losing his England place, it has been revealed.
Wilshere was not named in Sam Allardyce’s first England squad since he replaced Roy Hodgson after Euro 2016, and his omission has led to the 24-year-old asking Wenger to leave the club on a short-term deal. The Mirror reports that Wenger has agreed to the midfielder’s request, in the hope that he regains his best form and peak fitness by playing regularly.
The £30m-plus addition of Granit Xhaka has given Wenger plenty of options in central midfield, with the Swiss international joining Francis Coquelin, Mohamed Elneny, Santi Cazorla and Wilshere in the middle over the past three matches. The wide array of talent at Wenger’s disposal has restricted Wilshere to just 37 minutes of Premier League action this season, and led to the Arsenal academy product dropping out of the England side having just made it into Hodgson’s squad for the European Championship last June.
Wenger will not allow Wilshere to join another club vying for a top four finish, although he is more open to allowing him to join a club lower down the league table. The Mirror also claims that Middlebrough have expressed an interest in Wilshere, though do not rule out a move abroad for the England international after Valencia attempted to sign him last season when Gary Neville was still manager of the Spanish club.
While fans will be concerned with Wilshere heading for the exit, there is at least some good news in the arrival of defender Shkodran Mustafi and striker Lucas Perez. The German Football Association [DFB] confirmed on Monday that 24-year-old Mustafi’s move to Arsenal was completed, with the centre-back himself confirming that it was his international teammate and new club colleague Mesut Özil that persuaded him to leave Valencia for the EA DFB statement on Monday read: “Arsenal have increased their quota of German players with the transfer of world champion Shkrodan Mustafi from Valencia.”
Speaking to Sky Sports Germany, Mustafi said: “I did not see Per for a long time because he quit international football but I talked to Mesut. He told me everything I wanted to know. Everything was positive, so I was convinced very fast. It did not take much.
“I have always loved Arsenal, I like how they play here, it is not typical English. The game here is more like in Spain and with the German national team, keeping the ball on the grass, so it was easy to convince me.”
Perez meanwhile was pictured arriving at London Heathrow airport on Monday ahead of his Arsenal move, having undergone a medical last week. Perez is expected to join up with the rest of the squad later this week after being left out of the Spain national squad, with an announcement on both Mustafi and Perez expected before Wednesday’s transfer deadline mirates.