- Celebrations to be held at the Bomas Of Kenya
- Similar Celebrations to be held across the country
President William Ruto will today preside over the inaugural Utamaduni Day celebrations at Bomas of Kenya in Nairobi.
In a statement the Ummi Bashir, the Principal Secretary for the State Department for Culture, Arts and Heritage, said similar celebrations will be held in all constituencies across the country
Key Higlights of Utamaduni 2023
The focus for this year’s celebration, the PS said, is on
- Street Fairs: Vibrant street fairs to be organized across the nation, providing a platform for local artisans and craftsmen to display their talents and create a lively atmosphere.
- Cultural Performances: Performances reflecting the rich tapestry of Kenyan culture, including music, dance, and theater, will captivate audiences.
- Public Engagement: Kenyan citizens are encouraged to actively participate in discussions, workshops, and cultural showcases that highlight our diverse heritage.
- Food Festivals: Attendees will have the opportunity to savor the flavors of Kenya through traditional dishes from various communities
- Cultural Exhibitions: Exhibitions will delve into the history, art, and customs of different Kenyan communities, fostering a deeper appreciation for our diverse heritage
“Utamaduni Day underscores Kenya’s commitment to celebrating diversity and unity, fostering a more inclusive future,” she said.
To make the day a success, the PS encouraged Kenyans to actively participate in discussions, workshops, and cultural showcases that emphasize the country’s diverse heritage.
History of Utamaduni
The public holiday formally known as Moi Day was initially renamed Huduma Day and later Utamaduni Day in 2020.
However the previous administration of retired President Uhuru Kenyatta set aside the day for national celebrations, there has been little government mobilisation in the past few years.
The previous government instead urged citizens “to recognize and celebrate the rich cultural diversity of Kenya in a manner that promotes unity, national cohesion and economic progress In the Country.”