20 families have been left homeless in Nairobi’s Ngeri, Madoya area, Mathare constituency after a fire that broke out at 7:00 am on Friday razed down their homes.
Witnesses say that the fire started in one of the houses after a four year old child knocked down a cooking stove that the mother had left on.
“I left the house to go to the shop, that’s when I saw the fire then heard a baby crying inside.I rushed then kicked the door then saw the baby on fire. We managed to pull out the baby with my neighbor but the fire was also huge. We tried to put out the fire. We all lost everything in the fire.” Said Joshua Mwangangi one of those affected by the fire
The baby who was severely burnt during the incident was rushed to Kenyatta Hospital where he is currently receiving treatment.
Fire marshals from the Nairobi County managed to contain the fire.
The victims are now calling on local leaders to help them with food, clothing and materials to rebuild their homes.