In Summary

  • Two knives and a black dustcoat were recovered at the scene of the murder, police said
  • Director of Criminal Investigations Mohamed Amin said an AK47 rifle and MP5 with 60 bullets stolen from the police officers were recovered.

Two of the suspects who killed a police officer and injured another one before robbing them of their rifles have been killed near the Kenya-Uganda border.

They were killed in Awinga, Alego Usonga.

They had moved from Wanga Hills near the border to the area where they were confronted, police said.

Bullets Recovered

Image:, @DCI_Kenya Source:


Director of Criminal Investigations Mohamed Amin said an AK47 rifle and MP5 with 60 bullets stolen from the police officers were recovered.

Police believe the gang was part of returnees from Somalia .

READ Also: Two Eastleigh Based Police Officers Arrested For Extortion

The Border Hunt

Police say the hunt was extended to the border after the three men believed to have been behind the incident in Siaya were spotted in a village in neighboring Busia county.

The men escaped later on and abandoned an Arafat shawl they had, added the police

It is the same piece of cloth they had when they staged the attack on Monday morning in Siaya.

READ Also: Mexico’s First Non-Binary Magistrate Found Dead.

Witnesses Speak To The Police

Witnesses told police the three were in gumboots-two black and one white.

The strangers were found relaxed while warming themselves with a jiko, which they had lit in the house and informed the owner they were sheltering from the rains and that they were hawkers in the area popularly known as Malimali businessmen.

According to police, the owner of the house demanded to see what the trio was carrying in a sack and some small bag they had but they refused and stopped him from reaching them.

He tried to call the area assistant chief but the men snatched his phone.

He told police he managed to grab an AK-47 rifle which had protruded from the sack and struggled for some time as he was being hit on the back by the other two until they produced another black gun allegedly shorter than the AK-47 one.

Another neighbour who was with the owner of the house said he ran away on seeing the struggle.

He raised an alarm prompting the men to run away from the scene in the 5 pm incident.

“The trio then made their way towards Wanga Hills leaving behind an Arafat scarf red-white checked, a maroon T-shirt and a note titled ” Naam Assalam Walaikum Ikhwan Fi LLAH”, police said.

The gang grabbed the two weapons- an AK47 with 30 bullets and an MP5 with 30 bullets and escaped on foot, police said.

One of the attackers wore an Arafat shawl while the other had a face mask on him.

They stabbed constable Edwin Erocho in the neck, face and chest killing him while his female colleague managed to escape into a bush but after being robbed of her rifle.

Story By Judith Kanaya



Written by:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • GhettoRadio 89.5FM
  • Radio