Media personality Willis Raburu has broken his silence after he was called out over the poor attendance at Gengetone Festival over the weekend.
The gig that went down at Machakos People’s Park on Saturday caused a stir online after the photos started doing rounds.
Raburu who was associated with the event said he was not the organizer of the event and had also just been paid to MC the event.
He further said the event had two segments and the photos doing rounds are just from the session where he was hyping up the few people who had already turned up.
“The gengetone festival was not my event, If you want to find out who were the organizers, check the posters online. The event had two segments; one where upcoming artists were given a chance to represent then eventually the other artistes would take over. The pictures that are doing rounds online are from the segment where I was hyping just the guys who were there at the time.” He said
Raburu also called for promoters to respect artists adding that the weekend event was flawed by lack of payment.
“After the hyping I went backstage to find out which artist will be performing next, I talked to the artists and most of them told me that they want to perform but they have not been paid. The rule is always half during negosiations and by the time I’m stepping on the stage, it’s been cleared. I told them not to perform if they have not been paid, I was on stage or a while, I didn’t know the cracks of the matter, and in fact I was also to go ask for my pay. So I called the organizer and we sat down together with the artists. We talked and he said that they will pay by Monday because the money is on the ticketing platform. It got to the point that as we were talking to these artists I felt really sad because to tell artists to just perform and they will be paid another time, How many time have they been told that? I told them if they get on stage and perform without being paid, we will never break this cycle.” He said